Tuesday 9 October 2012

First day of Machinarium English work.

The children were so excited when I explained the task ahead. Today we just looked at the first couple of pages before the game even started, took screen shots and annotated them using Skitch. The children then put together some scene setting moments. Great discussion took place involving where the story was set, what they could see, hear, feel, smell, what era it was set in, what had happened. Some brilliant writing from today, and I am very excited about what they will produce in the next couple of weeks. Here are some snippets:

After the apocalypse, I thought that I was dead, but I was wrong. The place was now a wasteland, the sun was sunless, the trees were leafless. The land was as rusty as pipes, and the rest of the terrain was decayed. I headed to the ancient city that looked familiar.

 

Paddy

 

In a dark gloomy realm where a dead empire lies in war I keep peace between war and harmony. So far war has not struck us but, one hundred years ago our mechanical warriors fought hard to protect our kingdom. I search for the great wizard sword with a magic that not even the most powerful wizard can hold.

 

Jacob

 

As rusty as metal, the tower of tins near a mysterious pile of waste felt dry and unusual. The smoky sand floated through the air. Suddenly, a mysterious metal thing drifted across the sky and into the deserted mechanical waste of junk. The universe felt magical through the sandy air.

 

Lexiss

 

I've been captured by a few hostile robots in the middle of a war. Their ship crashed on a far away planet. On this planet it's like a vast wasteland and a huge pile of junk, with armoured robots with guns in the palm of their hands.

 

Harvey

 

I know the children would be very pleased to hear some comments that I can pass on so feel free!

 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Well done everyone. I think your use of language is brilliant. I really enjoyed reading your setting descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I will pass on the message. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fabulous use of technology to create some excellent writing. Your use of language is fantastic! I look forward to reading more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sarah, I think they're brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love 'the sun was sunless'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, some great writing here! I especially liked 'the land was as rusty as pipes'. That is someone with a good visual awareness. Look forward to seeing how this develops and to some complete stories or episodes. Enjoy exploring the game.

    Best wishes,
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, the class were thrilled to see such an important person (even if they don't know who you are!) commenting on their writing, now they all want to be published!

      Delete